Friday, April 27, 2007

Speaking of Girls Kissing . . .

Maureen Johnson’s novel, The Bermudez Triangle, which contains no sex but is about (among other things) a lesbian relationship, has been removed from the Bartlesville Mid-High School in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. The removal began with a single parent’s complaint about “the lack of discretion, and moral decline in the selection of books at the Mid-High library.” This parent singled out The Bermudez Triangle for having “no moral fiber” and promoting a “do whomever you want to discover yourself” mentality. The decision to remove the book was made by a committee appointed by the Bartlesville Board of Education upon receiving the parent’s complaint.

Maureen has responded to the action and allegations on her blog:
The idea that Bermudez is a “sexual free for all” is a joke. My mother read Bermudez—the same mother who wouldn’t let me wear denim skirts and who still tells me the stork brought me—and said, “I can’t see why anyone would object to this book.”
Maureen concludes that the complaint reflects “Garden Variety homophobia.”

The Oklahoma Library Association's Intellectual Freedom Committee has been asked to look into the situation.

Stay tuned for updates.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hannah Rose said...

The entire situation makes me sad. I feel sorry not only for the girl whose mother seems to lord over everything she does. (Creepy!)

But more than that I'm sad that ONE mother's opinion got it banned for everyone. The message this school is sending is "don't bring gays or other controversial subjects here, we don't want 'em!"

It's sad. Maureen, I support you!

10:48 PM  
Blogger flanok said...

I'd rather my children learned about the realities of the world in a non sexual way rather than assuming the lesbians is all about sex.

taking books away like that makes that learning harder.What about all the other parents, what was their views?

Mark

Unleash The Power Within

8:57 AM  
Blogger Little Willow said...

When I first read the book, I told everyone I'd ever met the many reasons why they should read it.

I quote it 'til this day - mostly lines said by Parker - as well as others by Maureen, as I've enjoyed them all.

I am now telling every I've ever met the many reasons why they should sign Maureen's petition.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home