Monday, June 19, 2006

Concerned Women Hoping to "Audit" Gay Books

"Are your local schools promoting homosexuality?"

That's the question being asked by the far-right activist group Concerned Women of America and its director, honorary "woman" Robert Knight.

Concerned citizens can find an answer to their question by employing a ‘School Risk Audit’, a check-list of "gay agenda" risk factors created by a coalition of very influential conservative activist groups. And one of their big red flags is, of course, the presence of gay-themed books in school libraries and curriculums.

On a personal note, I looked at their list of "dangerous" gay-themed books and saw that it contains pretty much every such book ever written...except my books, Geography Club and its sequel The Order of the Poison Oak.

I'd love to be able to report that they don't find my books dangerous, but alas, I think it's more likely that they just cribbed their list from a list of gay-themed books recommended by the ALA...which also includes every gay-themed ever written except mine (which, frankly, stung a little when I first saw it, a little like being the only participant to not even receive a "participant" ribbon in the spoon-egg race!).

But I digress...

Are your local schools promoting homosexuality? Probably not, but hopefully an increasing number of them are incorporating literature that appeals and is relevant to all their students, even their gay and lesbian ones.

2 Comments:

Blogger web said...

Yay! Your book on my list, so at least they didn't get it from me!

I was just so thrilled to be noticed by PABBIS. Oh wait, I didn't mean thrilled, I meant disgusted and angered.

11:41 PM  
Blogger C. K. Kelly Martin said...

This brings to mind a Thomas Pynchon quote:

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."

Are your local schools promoting equality?

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home